Treat yourself! While this is a phrase we’ve likely all said, it is a solid piece of advice to give and listen to. We all have busy lives between work, family, and friends, and sometimes we get so lost in all of those things that we forget to make time for things that are good for us. Plus, there are a number of health benefits of rewarding yourself. If you’re looking for a dose of some mood-boosting self-care, we’ve got you covered with this list.
Take a Bath
Water is so refreshing and when you pair that with a great bath bomb or your favorite bubble bath, you are well on your way to a relaxing day or night. In addition to picking out some bath goodies, create a retreat in your bathroom by adding a few items to make it a little more spa-like. We suggest a bathtub tray to give you a spot for a drink (or container of edible cookie dough!), a Bluetooth speaker to play nature sounds or soothing music, and a pillow to rest your head on the edge of the bathtub. And, of course, light some candles to set the mood and set out some soft towels or a cozy robe to slip into post-soak. Whether you’re a regular soaker or not, consider picking up something new to make your bath extra luxurious and truly treat yourself:
Bath Bombs: They come in many cute shapes and colors, amazing scents, and turn your water a fun color! Try Simply AC’s That’s the Tea Bath Bomb, which creates gorgeous and moisturizing silver colored bubbles and is scented with earl grey tea
Bubble Bar - if you loved bubbles in your bath when you were little you are going to love using bubble bars. They have so many lovely different scents and they produce so many bubbles! Try Mountain Madness Soap Co.’s Rock Candy Bubble Bar, which has the scent of sweet sugar and creates luxe pink bubbles.
Epsom Salts: If you’re looking to soothe sore muscles, give a bath soak with Epson salts a try. We love Waterbody’s Wildflower Bath Soak, which contains a variety of mineral salts to soothe the skin and antioxidant-rich flower petals.
Body Scrub: Usually made out of sugar or salt alongside moisturizing oils, a body scrub is a great way to gentle exfoliate and leave your skin feeling super soft. We love Muse Bath Body Ritual Scrub, which locks in moisture with coconut oil and has the refreshing scent of eucalyptus and lavender essential oils.
Learn Something New
If there has been a hobby, or different language, or anything that you have wanted to learn how to do, take the time to try it out. YouTube has a lot of amazing tutorials for almost anything, so if there has always been a craft, or recipe, or anything that you have wanted, set aside an evening to dive in. It might not be easy right away but, with practice, you will get there in no time! Remember we all had to learn how to do the things we are amazing at now, so go easy on yourself and enjoy the process and make it just another way to treat yourself. If you’re looking to get a little more intense, try out SkillShare, which offers classes in a variety of areas like music, photography, web development, or marketing, or try Craftsy to try your hand at sewing, cake decorating, or knitting.
Rearrange or Redecorate a Spot In Your Home
Changing up a space in your home can completely change the energy in that area. Moving furniture around, adding in a new piece of art, or even just repainting the walls a new color can make a space feel brand new. When things don’t get moved around, the energy can become stagnant and familiar. Remember the feeling of moving into a new space and getting to decorate? It doesn’t have to take moving to have that feeling again. If you don’t want to go with a complete makeover, try creating a little reading nook indoors or outdoors for a cozy new spot to seek inspiration.
Make a Playlist of Your Favorite Old Songs
Long gone are the days when we would burn CDs of our favorite songs, but we can still make playlists on many different great streaming services. There is a high chance you already have a playlist going, but do you have one of your favorite old songs from years ago? Take a walk down memory lane and look up some of those older songs you used to listen to, make a playlist, and put it on. Rock out like you used to, sing to your heart's content. dance around the house, or even go out for a drive just by yourself, with nowhere specific you need to be. Even just listening to the music you enjoyed at a different time in your life can transport you back there, if only for a moment.
Plan a Dream Trip
Is there somewhere that you have always wanted to go to but thought it was out of reach? The cost of going on trips can be discouraging but, with planning, you can do it! A fun way to bring your dream trip to life is to make a dream board. Pick up a poster board, and start finding some fun pictures online to print out.
Say for example you have always wanted to visit California, try printing out pictures that remind you of the state such as a picture of the Pacific Ocean, the Golden Gate Bridge, or Edoughble’s Sweet Shop. To work towards achieving your dream trip:
- Look at the season you want to visit as this will be important to travel and hotel costs You might want to consider traveling during the off-season to make your trip more affordable.
- Create an itinerary by figure out what part of your dream location you’d like to visit, what you’d like to do, and how long you would like to be there.
- Depending on how far away you are from where you want to take a trip, look at the different ways of transportation. If you choose to fly, look into choosing the best airport for your flight. If you live in a smaller area, or the area you are going to is smaller, look into flying into or out of a larger nearby city. Sometimes this can lower the cost a lot as well as cut down the number of flights you have to spend your time on.Then, of course, there are also buses, trains, or even driving yourself, which can add even more of an adventure to your dream trip.
- Write down the average cost of travel for the time of year you would be going.
- Find a nice area to stay, comparing costs of hotels, vacation rentals, hostels, home exchanges, and even campsites. Add this cost to the travel cost, and you are well on your way to determining your goal to make this trip happen!
- Don’t forget to factor in some spending cash for food, shopping, and any activities you want to do while on your trip.
Once you’ve determined the cost of your dream trip, open up a savings account and put in a little money here or there, or maybe even create a cute little piggy bank to save any extra change or cash. You will be surprised how fast your money will add up without feeling as though you’re sacrificing anything so you can treat yourself sooner rather than later.
Spend Some Time Outside
Nature is always nice to spend time in, even if it's just your backyard. You could always pack a picnic and go to the park, or take a day hike with a friend, significant other, or your pet. Take a trip to the beach for the day, or just sunbathe in the backyard. Spending time under the sun is a great way to make sure you get that Vitamin D, but don't forget to protect yourself from the sun so you don't get a sunburn.
Have a Movie Night
Sometimes the best way to treat yourself is to allow yourself to not do anything. Take a day to just relax and do the things that you enjoy without the worry of needing to go do the laundry or wash the dishes. Take time to schedule out your day of pure relaxation, so you’re able to truly let go and not worry about things that you might have to get done. We recommend picking a day that you don’t have any plans or responsibilities and use the days leading up to your date with yourself to do a little extra to make sure you don’t have any chores or anything kept in the back of your mind you feel like you should do. To make your movie night great, try:
- Order yourself a pizza, favorite take-out, or even make your own favorite meal, but remember those dishes can be done tomorrow if you choose to cook.
- Plan out what you want to watch. Is there a TV show you have been wanting to binge? A movie you haven’t seen? Or maybe even a movie or show you have seen but it’s been a while. The great thing is with places like Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu, there are endless options for things you can find to watch and stream.
- Order some edible cookie dough! You can’t have a relaxing movie night without dessert, and we have so many options for you. You can of course pick from any single flavor we offer or even go with our fun Build A Box option which allows you to pick 2, 4, or even up to 6 different flavor options. So if you were going to be spending this movie night with your favorite person, you both will have your favorite flavor to choose from, as well as extra for later!